DAMA-UPC, the DAta MAnagement group at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) is part of the Computer Architecture Department (DAC). The work of our group focuses on the research and technology transfer in topics related to the management and retrieval of large data volumes, information quality and data exploration.
DAMA-UPC is a member of Tecnio since 2005. Tecnio is an initiative of ACC10, the Agency for Innovation and Internationalization of the catalan enterprise, belonging to Generalitat de Catalunya. DAMA-UPC is suported by Generalitat de Catalunya as a Consolidated Research Group (SGR-1187), by the Ministry of Education and Science of Spain through an I+D project (TIN2009-14560-C03-03) coordinated with Fundació Barcelona Media of UPF and Universidade da Coruña.
Starting September 2011, DAMA-UPC will collaborate in the research projects of CA Technologies new European Research centre in the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya.BarcelonaTech. The projects will address security and privacy in a cloud environment, cloud forensics, machine translation tools for multi-lingual product localization, efficient visualization of very large systems, and new IT business models.
The collaboration of DAMA-UPC with the IBM Toronto Lab has been selected as one remarkable example for TECNIO 2010 presentation. Following an excerpt of the video is shown:
Although our group is focused on research aspects, we feel commited to the society and care for technology transfer. Our group has created Sparsity Technologies a spin-out company from the university, that since March 2010 develops, supports & commercializes the technologies developed at DAMA-UPC, including:
- DEX: High-performance graph database to integrate multiple data sources and deal more efficiently with strongly-related data.
- BIBEX: Bibliographical search engine that uses DEX to answer complex queries in very reasonable timing.
- DAURUM: Application to detect and deduplicate similar records in a single or multiple databases.
You may find more information about this spin out in its oficial web site:http://www.sparsity-technologies.com .
- DAMA-UPC Brochure (Spanish)
- UPC patents system for cardiovascular pre-diagnosis—in under a minute—based on contact with user’s hands or feet
- Catalan scientists develop new high-precision method for analysing and comparing functioning and structure of complex networks
- Robotic lighting system gives surgeons clearer view in operating theatres
- Terrassa hosts the AMBER laboratory for ultra-high-voltage electrical tests
- Lluís Jofre appointed director of CARNET project and SEAT-UPC Enterprise Chair, with Robert Griñó to serve as academic director